Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Basil Chicken

This recipe is a simplified (and Paleo-ified) version of a recipe in this month's Cooking Light magazine. Their recipe calls for fish sauce (ugh), soy sauce, and corn starch, none of which will I eat, so here's my modified take:

Ingredients:
  • 1T coconut oil (or more if needed)
  • 3 minced shallots
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 6 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, sliced into thin, 2"-long pieces
  • 1 or 2 T coconut aminos (this is a substitute for soy sauce)
  • 4 fresh, chopped basil leaves
  • Salt and pepper if desired

Instructions:
  1. Melt the coconut oil over medium-high in a large skillet or wok.
  2. Add the shallots and garlic. Saute briefly. 
  3. Add the chicken. Stir fry 'til the chicken's mostly browned.
  4. Add in the coconut aminos. Let it bubble for a bit. 
  5. When the chicken's finished cooking, stir in the basil. 
The first time I made this, I also toasted some chopped walnuts and threw them on top. That dinner was great, but the leftovers had soggy walnuts, which wasn't so great. So I left them out this time.

I served this with Cooking Light's Sauteed Snow Peas and Peppers. Technically, sesame oil isn't Paleo, but I don't care. I don't have a problem with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment