Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ancho Chili

I modified this recipe from a new Weight Watchers cookbook titled, "Power Foods Cookbook." The recipes are mostly paleo, actually, though there are some with dairy and whole grains. I modify them however I want, but it's a nice launching point. This recipe is my take on the recipe in the book.  It has a very nice smoky flavor!

Ingredients:
  • 2 dried ancho chili peppers, seeded and torn into pieces
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1.5 t oregano
  • .5 t cumin
  • .5 t salt
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (beans are optional - don't use if you're trying to be strict paleo)
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (same as above)
  • 1 pound ground beef 
Instructions:
  1. Toast ancho chili pieces in a dry, medium skillet over medium heat. When they're toasted and fragrant, put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them sit for 10 minutes. When the 10 minutes is up, drain off all but 2T of the liquid. Put peppers, reserved liquid, garlic, oregano, cumin, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth-ish.
  2. Brown the hamburger. Drain and set aside.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Saute the onion and bell pepper. Add the ancho blend. Mix well.
  4. Add the beef broth, tomatoes, beans, and hamburger. Stir well and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. What kind of beef broth do you use, or do you make it? I've only found ONE chicken broth I can eat without getting a headache, and that's Pacific Free Range Organic Chicken Broth (not the 'low sodium' kind because that has junk in it that the regular one does not). I haven't yet found a beef broth I can use.

    ReplyDelete